IEEE Power Electronics Society Standards
Welcome to the home page of the IEEE Power Electronics Society Standards Committee. PELS is the driving force behind the International Technology Roadmap for Wide Bandgap Power Semiconductors (ITRW) and numerous standards activities relating to Power Electronics, and Smart Grid initiatives. We are actively looking for volunteers to engage in standards activities and therefore if you would like to join our efforts, please contact Peter Wilson.
PELS has led the way to develop an international roadmap for wide bandgap power semiconductors encompassing devices, modules, packaging and applications. For more information please see the links on this page for more details about activities, committees, and the need.
Smart Grid Activities
Among those efforts are participation in the IEEE-SA P2030.1 work on smart grid infrastructure. The IEEE-SA P2030.1 guide will provide a knowledge base for understanding and defining the electric grid infrastructure requirements to support various forms of electric sourced transportation. It will include both vehicle and mass transit, which is necessary to determine the future grid infrastructure requirements that have to be implemented in phases in the near future. The P2030.1 project is being sponsored by the IEEE-SA Standards Coordinating Committee 40 (SCC40).
Matt Wilkowski has been leading the Electronic Transformers Technical Committee effort with several standards relating to magnetic materials and components. PELS began initiating a new working group on Testing and Characterization of Electrochemical Capacitors. A project authorization request (PAR) is being created and this working group will begin its work soon. Contact the working group chair, Dr. John Miller, if you wish to get involved.
Current and Ongoing Standards Efforts and Coordinating Committees
· 1573-2003 - IEEE Recommended Practice for Electronic Power Subsystems: Parameters, Interfaces, Elements, and Performance. Please contact Dr. Peter Wilson to join the working group.
· SCC-22 - Standards Coordinating Committee on Power Quality
Contact Dr. Ahmed Zobaa for more information
· P1789 - Working Group on Recommending practices for modulating current in High Brightness LEDs for mitigating health risks to viewers Information can be found at IEEE P1789 grouper site
· P2030.1 - Working Group on Grid Infrastructure for Electric Sourced Transportation Information can be found at IEEE SCC-40 grouper site
· P2004 working group on Hardware in the Loop Simulation and Test Methods – contact Mischa Steurer
Policies and Procedures
Please click here to view the Operating Policies and Procedures for the IEEE Power Electronics Society Standards Committee.
Other Relevant Standards Activities