New Standards Efforts
PELSC began initiating a new working group on Testing and Characterization of Electrochemical Capacitors. A project authorization request (PAR) is being created and this working group will begin its work soon. Contact the working group chair, Dr. John Miller, if you wish to get involved.
PELS and its members are involved in many smart grid initiatives. Among those efforts are participation in the IEEE-SA P2030.1 work on smart grid infrastructure. The IEEE-SA P2030.1 guide will provide a knowledge base for understanding and defining the electric grid infrastructure requirements to support various forms of electric sourced transportation. It will include both vehicle and mass transit, which is necessary to determine the future grid infrastructure requirements that have to be implemented in phases in the near future. The P2030.1 project is being sponsored by the IEEE-SA Standards Coordinating Committee 40 (SCC40).
Current and Ongoing Standards Efforts and Coordinating Committees
- PELSC has one standard currently being revised (1573-2003 - IEEE Recommended Practice for Electronic Power Subsystems: Parameters, Interfaces, Elements, and Performance). Please contact Dr. Peter Wilson to join the working group.
- SCC-22 - Standards Coordinating Committee on Power Quality
Contact Dr. Ahmed Zobaa for more information
- P1789 - Working Group on Recommending practices for modulating current in High Brightness LEDs for mitigating health risks to viewers Information can be found at IEEE P1789 grouper site
- P2030.1 - Working Group on Grid Infrastructure for Electric Sourced Transportation Information can be found at IEEE SCC-40 grouper site
- P1826 - Standard for Power Electronics Open System Interfaces in Zonal Electrical Distribution Systems Rated Above 100 kW
- Task Force on Fault Current Limiter Testing Contact Mischa Steurer or Frank Lambert
Please click here to view the Operating Policies and Procedures for the IEEE Power Electronics Society Standards Committee.
Other Relevant Standards Activities
- IEEE Standards Association
- Smart Grid at NIST
- International Electrotechnical Commission
- Society of Automotive Engineering
- Electronic Transformers Technical Committee