Passing of Milan Jovanovic
Dear PELS Members:
It is with great sadness that I pass along the news, that I received this morning from Dushan Boroyevich, regarding the passing of Dr. Milan Jovanovic, a colleague, friend and amazingly accomplished power electronics professional. He left us on Oct. 9. His obituary can be found at: www.wakefuneral.com/
There will be a memorial service on Saturday, October 20, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., at Delta Power Electronics Laboratory, 5101 Davis Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709. To attend, please RSVP to Lezley.Kennison@deltaww.com. Milan will be laid to rest in Belgrade, Serbia, at a later date.
Milan worked for Delta Electronics (Americas) Ltd., the U.S. subsidiary of Delta Electronics, Inc., Taiwan, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of power supplies, where he held the position of Senior Vice President for Research & Development. He was a member of US National Academy of Engineering, and the most cited industry-affiliated power electronics researcher in the world.
Milan was very active in IEEE PELS: Fellow since 2001, Senior Member since 1989, Student Member since 1984. His activities included:
· Tutorial Chairman at IEEE Power Conversion and Motion Control Conference (EPE PEMC - ECCE), (2012);
· IEEE Power Electronics Society's Representative in Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC) Steering Committee, (1997-'98);
· Member At-Large of PELS Administrative Committee, (1995-'97);
· Program Co-Chairman of Power Electronics Specialists' Conference (PESC), (1994);
· Secretary of Meetings Committee of IEEE Power Electronics Society, (1991-'93);
· Member of IEEE Applied Power Conference (APEC) Program Committee (1990-'04).
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Milan's memory to the American Cancer Society, <www.cancer.org/involved/
I encourage you all to take a moment of silence and reflection today, wherever in the world you are, for Milan and his family. May God bless them and comfort them during this time.