PELS Students and Young Professionals Reception at APEC - 2015
The first few years of student life as well as after graduation can be challenging for young engineers. Employment searches, new jobs, professional growth, career development, and life status changes are common experiences. Going through these challenges can be daunting but IEEE members never have to go through these experiences alone or uninformed.
IEEE Young Professionals (formerly Graduates of the Last Decade, GOLD) was created in 1996 as a membership program to help students transition to young professionals within the larger IEEE community. IEEE student members are automatically added to the Young Professionals community as they graduate. IEEE Young Professionals is a vibrant community of engineers, scientists, and technical experts with member representation across the globe and throughout IEEE societies.
IEEE Power Electronics Society (PELS) has its own Students and Young Professionals (S&YP) group, dedicated to bring together budding engineers in the area of power and energy. PELS S&YP hosts a variety of events, especially at different IEEE conferences and meetings, geared to helping students and young professional members get connected in the power electronics community. Special access receptions and dinners, mentoring, and other unique growth opportunities are available for the members of PELS students and young professionals.
Students are vital members of PELS. Much of the cutting-edge research presented and published at PELS conferences is conducted by students. Students represent the future of the field and PELS aims to cultivate a vibrant community for student members to develop their careers in power electronics. PELS supports student competitions, like Solar Splash and the International Future Energy Challenge, and supports various student travel grants, and hold conference events, such as student-industry networking dinners. As a student you can join PELS for a very low membership fee per year. Get connected with the power electronics community and make an impact in this exciting field!
PELS Student Chapters
PELS has a number of student chapters throughout the world. If you would like to start a student chapter at your institution, please fill out this form. A subset of PELS student chapters are as follows:
- Aachen Univ. of Tech - Rwth (Joint PELS/IAS/PES)
- Univ. Of Arkansas-Fayetteville
- Centro Nacional Investigacion Desarollo
- Guanajuato Univ. de
- Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Joint PELS/PES)
- National Tsing Hua University Branch
- Pontificia Univ. Catolica de Chile
- Pontificia Univ. Catolica de Valparaiso
- Texas A&M Univ. (Joint PELS/IAS/PES)
- Univ. of Nebraska-Lincoln (Joint PELS/IAS/PES)
- Virginia Poly. Inst. & State Univ. (Virginia Tech)
- Xian Jiaotong Univ.
- Univ. of Aero & Astronautics
- Hefei Univ. of Technology
- Universidad Distrital Francisco Jose de Caldas
Latest News & Upcoming Conferences/Events
- Students and Young Professionals' Reception at IPEMC (ECCE-ASIA) 2016, Hefei, China
Hello Power Electronics Young Professionals, Engineers, and Students!
Don’t you want to mingle, learn and have fun at a technical conference?
IEEE Power Electronics Society (PELS) gives you this opportunity to learn from the life journey of the biggest leaders and to network with peers at IPEMC – ECCE Asia 2016 at this year's Young Professionals' and Students' Reception. So make sure you don't miss this wonderful chance to make new friends and meet new people.
When: Monday, May 23, at 8:00 p.m.
Where: Platinum Hanjue Hotel, Meeting Room 388 (the conference venue)
What: Luminary speeches followed by reception with complimentary cakes & drinks sponsored by PELS
Who: Invited guests, young professionals, engineers, and students
Don't miss the chance to chat with the leaders of power electronics societies and other invited guests, including:
- Dr. Liuchen Chang, General Chair of IPEMC – ECCE Asia 2016, University of New Brunswick, Canada
- Dr. Braham Ferreira, President of IEEE PELS, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
- Dr. Mark Dehong Xu, Chair of the International Steering Committee of IPEMC – ECCE Asia 2016, Zhejiang University, China
- Dr. Katherine A. Kim, Former Student Membership Chair for IEEE PELS, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology, Korea
... and more!
Why not save the date and register asap! We look forward to seeing you there.
Please RSVP here and submit, following the instructions in the form.
- List of Major Conferences with Events/Receptions Sponsored by PELS Young Professionals
- -Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC)
- -Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE) - North America
- -Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE) - Europe
- -Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE) - Asia
- -Southern Power Electronics Conference (SPEC) - South America
IEEE PELS and IAS co-sponsored a Students and Young Professionals' Reception at APEC 2016, which was held at Café Sevilla in Long Beach on March 22, 2016. Over complementary drinks and appetizers, more than 110 attendees enjoyed the panel discussion "Research for a cause - Thinking Why before What" and the networking opportunity with distinguished guests. This event also extended the young participants' experience of APEC into a relaxing environment by inviting the APEC organizers and plenary speakers.
- COBEP (SPEC) - November 2015, Brazil
The IEEE Power Electronics Society recently hosted the first students and young professionals reception in South America. The event was part of the first Southern Power Electronics Conference (SPEC) and the Brazilian Power Electronics Conference COBEP. Almost 100 people from all over the world joined together for food, drinks, and lively conversations at a seaside restaurant. Braham Ferreira, the PELS President, joined for the special event.
- ECCE North America - September 2015, Canada
The IEEE PELS and IAS sponsored Students and Young Professionals' Reception at ECCE-North America was held at L’ Auberge Saint-Gabriel (426 Saint-Gabriel, Montréal, QC) on Tuesday, Sept 22 at 6:30 PM. As always, it provided with a great opportunity for students and young professionals to network with each other and interact with distinguished personalities in the field of power and energy. There were more than 80 attendees present during the event, who also enjoyed the complementary appetizer buffet and drinks. Below are some pics taken at ECCE. Enjoy!
For more information about our past events, please click here!
Engage, Network & Learn!
- Young Engineers' Webinar Series
In this digital age, technical information exchange will go beyond traditional paper publications. PELS Students and Young Professionals’ (YP) group offers a webinar series covering a wide range of topics in power electronics and beyond by experts from industry and academia, alike. We cordially invite you to become a speaker/presenter for our webinars and share your experiences with the YP members. Please visit the YP webinar website for the latest updates on webinars!
Click on the Call for Webinars for more information on how to be a presenter/speaker for our webinars. We seek your support and participation...
IEEE PELS Students and Young Professional Committee
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about activities for young professionals in PELS, please contact Lingxiao Xue, the PELS Young Professionals' Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org!